Saturday, January 19, 2008

Things Are Really Different Here

Once again I'm blogging on a Saturday. I didn't set out to only blog on the weekend, it just seems that my weekdays are so full, Saturdays are the first time I get to sit back and think over the week. For some reason I was really noticing how different things are here. I can remember back in the 60s (when I was a student, not a teacher thank you) and seeing some of the teachers out back of the school taking a smoking break. Now days in the US teachers don't even smoke on the school grounds. Part of our politically correct society. But when a frantic student came into the teacher workroom looking for her teacher to get a report card signed I only had to pantomine smoking a cigarette for her to know where to find that teacher. All the students know that teachers go out to the back garden for a cigarette on their breaks - at least all the teachers that smoke. I will say that the majority of the teachers don't smoke, but there are a few. But smoking in Thailand is not the taboo that it is in the US. The government does their part by selling cigarette packs with horrible images of black lungs and other cancerous futures that lie in store for those who partake. Fortunately it's one of the few sins I haven't taken up in my life and hopefully never will. Here's a link that explains the warnings and even shows a few. Pretty hideous. http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/Thailand%20-%20warnings.htm

The other odd thing I have really been paying attention to this week is shoes in the classroom. There aren't any. Every classroom has a long rack just outside the door for all students, teachers, and visitors to leave their shoes. Now for a country girl like me it's great to have an excuse to go around barefoot most of the day. Then again there is the issue of proper foot support which is an important issue as you age and spend all day standing on a concrete floor. One teacher I talked to said that he no longer removes his shoes in the classroom because he's beginning to have trouble with falling arches and he needs the arch support in his shoes. So far I seem to be doing fine with the barefoot teaching. I do usually wear socks though which brings around the extra task of making sure your big toe isn't sticking out of a hole. Especially if you're teaching the little ones who notice things at ground level better than most. The socks are more to protect my ankles after work when I go to the outdoor cafe just outside the school. Around sunset, while I'm enjoying my dinner is when the mosquitos are the worst and I have learned the hard way that bare ankles are a favorite entree for the little moskies.

Finally, the biggest difference in the classrooms here is the opening and closing of the class. The class leader of the day (a classroom role that changes daily & is posted on a chart somewhere in the room) states loudly "Please stand up." All students rise and wai (folded hands before their faces as a sign of respect) and say in their best English (if it's a Thai teacher they of course do this in Thai)"Good Morning (afternoon) Teacher. How are you today?" To this I answer I am fine and you. "I'm fine, thank you," is the usual class response. And they remain standing until the teacher gives permission to sit. Then they go back to being typical students (giggling, passing notes, ignoring the teacher, etc). When the tone sounds (we don't use bells here) to signal the end of class the leader once again instructs fellow students to rise and again I am wai'd with a final "Thank you Teacher Vickie." Then they all burst out into the hallway, struggle into shoes, and run off to the toilets, on break, the playground, lunch, whatever. I admit I was a bit taken aback the first time this happened but have gotten used to it now. I've learned to give instructions at the beginning of class while they are all standing if it's something I really want them to hear because no matter how badly they want to, no student will sit until given permission.

All these differences are what makes this a remarkable time in my life. Some days pass with no real surprises, others are packed full. But the most remarkable thing I've seen is the shoes. Since all of the students wear uniforms and matching shoes, how do they know which pair of shoes to put on? One day I'll find out the secret. Till then, it's back to writing lesson plans and grading workbooks.

1 comment:

GEO*Trailblazer 1 said...

I have to admit you are one a a few,great teachers are hard to come by.
especially those who want to know what the other side the student is about.

Thanks for posting your blog and fixing the link.
Your local Waymark approver.

Charles
GEO*Trailblazer 1