Saturday, January 26, 2008

shoes and bugs that bite in the night

No, the shoes don't bite here, but the bugs sure do. Thursday night I moved to a room on the second floor of the dorm. A much sunnier room with the tiniest balcony I've ever seen, but enough room to put out some potted plants and make me think I'm still a gardner. I think I will do all orchids which seem to grow like weeds here (sorry Ann). So, after the move I put things away as best as possible for the night and fell into bed exhausted about 10pm. Around 3:30 Friday morning I awoke in agony. In my sleep I had been clawing at my arms and they were inflamed. I could tell something had bit me but then what were all the red blotches and swellings? Luckily I had some cortisone cream which abated the pain enough to get me through the morning classes. Believe me, as soon as the last class was over I was in a cab on my way to relief. This was my first encounter with the hospitals in Thailand. Very different from American medical system although something like the VA. I was seen by a doctor who spoke very good English and explained that yes, I seem to be allergic to whatever bit me. Perhaps I left the door open and a mosquito or some other creature got in while I was moving my things. I left the hospital (which was beautiful and very modern) and was back at work with only 2 hours lost time and had 4 medicines to get me through the painful stage. All this for less than $30 US. A nice system, pleasant people, really modern, clean facilites. Still, I don't think the pain was worth it.

Now, about those shoes. If you've looked at the school's website (sunflowerschool.co.th) you've no doubt noticed that the students all wear uniforms. Same shirts, skirts, shorts, pants, even shoes. And, as is the Thai custom, the students (and even teachers and guests) remove their shoes before entering the classroom. This past week I've been having fun watching the kids bail out of a classroom for lunch or going home time - you know, then they really want to get out quick - and watching them put on their shoes. I'm amazed that 20-30 kids can rush out the door and find their shoes out of 20-30 idential pairs setting on a bench outside the door. The P1's (our first graders) are the most fun. They don't seem to care if they get the right shoes or not. I've seen them swapping out later on the playground. The important thing is to just get outside. The M1's (our freshmen in high school) are more discerning and will try 2 or 3 different pair until they get the right ones. Some try putting little clues on the shoes (tags, stickers, markings) but the principal always seems to notice and makes them remove it. I guess in a country where 4 or 5 people ride on the same motorcycle at the same time in heavy traffic at breakneck speeds, wearing the same shoes as someone with athlete's foot is a minor worry. More next week.


Vickie

No comments: