Saturday, December 22, 2007

School Celebrations

Well, I can say with certainty that there were no alarm clocks set in the teachers' dorm Friday night. Everyone was bushed from alternately keeping up with students, helping with festival booths, making sure all records were in the computer system, small talk with visiting parents, and all the other actvities that took place on this final day before the Christmas break. Again, in many ways, very much like the last day before Christmas break in the public schools back home. And let me say that anything more than Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as a holiday from school here in Thailand is out of the norm. I have talked with teachers at other schools, both public and private who have only a 2 day break. I know I am fortunate and I will not waste my time off. Planning to visit the Isaan section of Thailand and see a very different way of life from the central part of the country where I live in the shadow of Bangkok. If time allows I will also make my way to Chiang Rai in the mountainous northern area to visit a small school where my friend Maeve is teaching. Hope to visit other schools as I travel and talk with American teachers along the way to see what they like/don't like about their Thai teaching experiences. In the meantime, have yourself a merry little Christmas wherever you are.

No comments: